The Miners Tavern was first established in 1926 in downtown Erie. At this time Erie was a coal mining town and there were over 40 bars and restaurants in town. The original building is the northern two thirds of the upper room which was expanded to include the rest of the upper room in the late 1930s. The lower room was built in 1942 as a doctor's office and became part of the tavern in the mid-1950s. The upper restrooms and kitchen were added in the early 1970s and the lower restrooms and west patio were added in 2005.